XYZPrint fails to render object supports, at all?

Post any question related to da Vinci series printers here.

XYZPrint fails to render object supports, at all?

Postby WarpNine » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:21 pm

XYZPrint failing to slice "supports on" as requested:
I was trying to print this model ( https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:753337 ) today and kept running into XYZPrint ignoring the infill and support parameters I had specified when it tried to slice the object. Even though I had turned supports on (with and without various other related settings), the sliced object never displayed them in the graphical image or said they were turned on in the object details. My requested infill percentage of 15% was always bumped up to 30% too. If XYZPrint didn't like other things in my parameters, I'd get a "the model type is wrong, try again" error message that made no sense and provided no details.

I was unable to open a bug report about this, because the support web site refused to accept my printer's serial number as valid. It was, but I never could submit any report about this problem - most annoying. Hard to print many objects if supports don't work!

I also noticed that my Da Vinci Mini/w had new firmware listed, but neither XYZPrint, XYZware, or the support web site could actually download it. What's up with that?

Thanks for any thoughts or suggestions!
WarpNine
New Arrival

Re: XYZPrint fails to render object supports, at all?

Postby WarpNine » Wed Jun 17, 2020 2:24 pm

Today I installed the 2.02 update for XYZPrint, but was most disappointed afterwards because I'm still seeing exactly the same issue - with it not generating any supports or following the infill percentage that I specified before starting it slicing. I'm observing these failures with any pattern I try to print, so it's not related a problem slicing one particular model.

Has anyone else seen this? Is XYZPrinting aware of it? Is a fix coming soon? How can things that require supports be printed properly if the software can't generate them?
WarpNine
New Arrival

Postby WarpNine » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:55 pm

I did just find a nice solution! I reinstalled an old version of XYZWare from 2016, before they took the support for my printer out of it - and it can correctly slice models with supports once again! I will try actually printing the model I need tomorrow, but anticipate no problems - as long as I keep answering "No" when ever it asks me if I want to upgrade to the newest software version.

XYZPrinting's software support has always been mediocre at best (I never could use XYZMaker because it was so buggy and as far as I know was never fixed), but it is pretty unbelievable that we can't use their printers because their software fails to work properly at all! They seriously need to get their act together and clean up all their outstanding software issues. There is no excuse for such poor software support that's basically broken our printers after they were working perfectly well for years!
WarpNine
New Arrival

Postby WarpNine » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:39 am

Well I thought I was out of the woods by going back to a pretty old version of the XYZWare software - one old enough so it still supported my Mini printer - but then ran into an unexpected snag. Although the old XYZWare program would slice the model correctly with the needed supports, and would load the filament and calibrate my printer correctly - it refused to actually print anything - saying that it could not find any genuine XYZPrinting filament (even though it had already shown it could detect it successfully for other operations). Fortunately, the solution to this next software mess was to save the correctly sliced model (as a proprietary ".3w" file type) and then print it using the broken version of XYZPrint (that itself was not able to slice the model correctly with the required supports at all). It's printing now, finally!

XYZPrinting really needs to fix all this buggy and broken software that has always plagued their products! If the software doesn't work, and work correctly - it makes their products useless!
WarpNine
New Arrival

face

Postby nobita88 » Tue Jun 22, 2021 1:15 am

Implement government directives. Everyone joins hands to fight the epidemic, limit moving out and stay indoors to keep the cleanest living environment. fireboy and watergirl
nobita88
Builder

Return to da Vinci Series