Prints stop adhering to themselves and fall apart

Post any question about Nobel Series printer here.

Prints stop adhering to themselves and fall apart

Postby Zach » Thu Aug 30, 2018 6:15 pm

I've been able to print a good dozen very high quality perfect prints, but now they all seem to be falling apart mid print. The struts and bases are warping during the print and nothing is able to adhere to them. I've recalibrated to no effect. I have absolutely no idea what's causing this. No setting were changed. It just seemed to start acting up. Some prints come out thin, some the struts are all warped and off, and some have chunks and parts of the print missing as if it stopped curing in areas like the laser wasn't doing it.
Zach
New Arrival

Re: Prints stop adhering to themselves and fall apart

Postby Herb » Fri Aug 31, 2018 6:40 am

If you mean that this is happening to multiple prints of DIFFERENT models, it is likely that your resin is contaminated. I would pour your resin into a spare resin bottle to save it, clean out the resin tank, and see whether that resolves the problem. Also be sure that your temperature is between the minimum (64.4˚F) and the maximum (82.4˚F), and that your humidity is in the range 40% - 80% noncondensing.

If you mean that multiple attempts to print the same model are failing, try a different model.

For these types of problems, it is always useful to report what kind of resin you are using, since the behavior of every resin is different.
Herb
Apprentice

Postby Zach » Fri Aug 31, 2018 3:13 pm

Sorry. I would say the temp is in range. I haven't measured inside the the tank, though. It tends to be on the warmer side of 70-75 in the room the printer is in. These are all different models printed with the XYZ printing clear resin for the Nobel 1.0a. I will try new resin then. The resin in the bottle should still be good though, right? It's the same bottle that printed perfectly before.
Zach
New Arrival

Postby Tony » Sat Sep 01, 2018 5:20 am

Zach,
If you have had the resin in the machine for longer than a week the resin can settle. I have had to empty the resin tank (getting all the resin off bottom of tank) put it back in the resin bottle and shake it up for a few minutes. I even use a cheap spatula from the dollar store to stir it up in the resin bottle. Anytime you remove the resin tank I would re-calibrate.
Had some white resin go from printing white to clear in a week. Shake, Stir, Shake, Calibrate, all good.
Tony
Apprentice

Postby Herb » Sat Sep 01, 2018 6:42 pm

Zach, the resin in the bottle should still be good.

Tony's suggestion is a good one, provided that the resin in the tank is not contaminated. What could contaminate the resin in the tank? A dirty spatula or perhaps some isopropyl alcohol. If you're certain that the resin is not contaminated, go ahead and pour it back into the same bottle. If there's any possibility that the resin is contaminated, pour it into a different bottle so you don't risk contaminating the entire bottle.

Incidentally, I would be interested to know whether anyone has successfully printed the Seattle Space Needle (https://www.thingiverse.com/thing:567695) using clear resin. I know of one person who has gotten a great print using blue resin (which I don't have), but despite multiple attempts, I have been unable to print this using clear resin.
Herb
Apprentice

Return to Nobel Series