DaVinci PRO heated bed, what to put on it?

Tips & Tutorials for da Vinci series printer.

DaVinci PRO heated bed, what to put on it?

Postby sfraden » Mon Aug 01, 2016 11:54 am

One of the nice things about the PRO units is the aluminum heated bed. Should never crack, break or warp. However unlike glass beds, you should not print directly to it. While the aluminum feels smooth to the touch, it actually has microscopic pores and rifts in it, which over time can trap bits of filament in it.
XYZ provides some tape sheets to put over the bed, which DO work very well, however they are akin to masking tape and leave a non-smooth look to your base as well as only surviving about 3-4 prints before it needs to be replaced.
My answer to this is Kapton Tape! I purchased a roll of the tape on Ebay, it is 100 ft by 200mm wide. Once piece of it covers my bed perfectly and completely, and I have enough left for several years of printing. The good thing about the tape is its very smooth and heat resistant, so it wont curl or become brittle over time. Once applied I forget its there. (unless I gouge it or rip it during removal) All I do now is rub a little glue stick over the surface before each print and I get 100% adhesion every time, even with ABS. Removal is easy too, just tap the side of the printed item with the handle of my scraper and the item will pop right off. May take a few good taps :)
Just a note on applying the Kapton Tape; Take your time. It can be put on perfectly smooth with no air bubbles. If you get some, you can peel it back up and reposition it a few times. It can be a pain to apply, but right now my current application has lasted 5 months so far, its worth it.
BTW: speaking of worth, I picked up the roll of Kapton for $19 on Ebay. You can also find it on Amazon and some electronics supply houses.
sfraden
Apprentice

Re: DaVinci PRO heated bed, what to put on it?

Postby Moomoocow » Mon Aug 01, 2016 2:00 pm

I have been using buildtak and it works pretty well but I will also give kapton tape a shot.
Moomoocow
New Arrival

Postby Zohmmods » Mon Aug 01, 2016 6:47 pm

Honestly, I've tried printing to kapton and other materials, but I've found the best use for an aluminum bed is to attach a glass plate. It's easy to muck up the kapton and the perfectly flat glass means more accurate parts and better adhesion.
Zohmmods
New Arrival

Postby Mommy2TwoBoys » Mon Jan 09, 2017 11:40 pm

Zohmmods wrote:Honestly, I've tried printing to kapton and other materials, but I've found the best use for an aluminum bed is to attach a glass plate. It's easy to muck up the kapton and the perfectly flat glass means more accurate parts and better adhesion.

My 10 y/o son received the DaVinciMiniW for Christmas and it comes with the 3 pieces of tape for the bed. Prints would not adhere and I did a little search online and found people stating that a spritz of hairspray or a glue stick works to make it adhere. We didn't have the glue stick, but I had hairspray and it worked. However, the print is FIRMLY stuck to the tape, which is torn and destroyed upon removal of the print. If we get a glass plate for this instead, will we still need to apply glue or hairspray to get adhesion? Do you have a link to where to purchase the glass plate? Also, where the heck do we buy the print bed tape refills at... I couldn't find it on the website and I figured all things needed would be there. Thanks for any help!
Mommy2TwoBoys
New Arrival

Postby xanin » Thu Jan 12, 2017 3:55 pm

Mommy2TwoBoys wrote:
Zohmmods wrote:Honestly, I've tried printing to kapton and other materials, but I've found the best use for an aluminum bed is to attach a glass plate. It's easy to muck up the kapton and the perfectly flat glass means more accurate parts and better adhesion.

My 10 y/o son received the DaVinciMiniW for Christmas and it comes with the 3 pieces of tape for the bed. Prints would not adhere and I did a little search online and found people stating that a spritz of hairspray or a glue stick works to make it adhere. We didn't have the glue stick, but I had hairspray and it worked. However, the print is FIRMLY stuck to the tape, which is torn and destroyed upon removal of the print. If we get a glass plate for this instead, will we still need to apply glue or hairspray to get adhesion? Do you have a link to where to purchase the glass plate? Also, where the heck do we buy the print bed tape refills at... I couldn't find it on the website and I figured all things needed would be there. Thanks for any help!

I'm not familiar with the mini, but a few things come to mind

1) you may need to adjust the Z offset to print a little closer to the bed. Examine the bottom of the failed prints. If the first layer doesn't look like it was squished down, the printhead was too high.

2) If your offset is fine, but still not sticking, it is possible the surface is contaminated. Things like oils from a persons skin (did you lay the tape on, or otherwise handle it with bare hands?) can quickly cause print adhesion troubles. I usually wear gloves when I lay down tape and will attempt to avoid touching the bed with bare hands/fingers up until the point at which I am done with the tape and peeling it off to throw away.

3) the tape they supply seems to be just large squares of masking tape. Nothing to stop you from laying down strips of whatever width of masking tape you can find. Blue Painters Tape is commonly used as well. Try to lay strips tight to one another, with as little gap as possible. Generally you don't want to overlap them and you don't want much if any between them.

If you put a glass bed on (not sure how easy that would be?) I believe you would still need to lay down gluestick, hairspray or tape. I don't recall PLA liking to stick to cold glass very much.
xanin
Apprentice

Postby MVM2 » Tue May 14, 2019 6:00 am

I've started using the PEI with great results. Prusa models now ship with this surface. No tape, no glue. It just works.
Clean it with rubbing alcohol. I paid $16 on Amazon.
MVM2
New Arrival

Postby MikaylaWillason » Mon Sep 23, 2019 10:55 pm

forum.xyzprinting is the forum where we can get the information about the different latest, modern 3d printing use for the different forum in this world as well as ukbestessays review this forum also share the new invention in the 3d printing in this world.
MikaylaWillason
New Arrival

Postby aladanh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 7:04 pm

Wish everyone who reads this comment will meet many good things, healthy, peaceful, happy
hotmail login
aladanh
New Arrival

Return to da Vinci Series