und out about Derek Jeters reti

Any thoughts about 3D printing and XYZprinting? Post here!

und out about Derek Jeters reti

Postby lw789 » Sun Nov 04, 2018 6:19 pm

TAMPA, Fla. -- Joe Girardi found out about Derek Jeters retirement announcement the same way almost everyone else did: when the New York Yankees captain posted a letter to the world on his Facebook page this week. Girardi left snowy New York on Friday and arrived at spring training for his seventh year as Yankees manager, and he spent the first eight minutes of his 20-minute opening news conference discussing Jeters decision to retire after this season. "I think we were probably all a little bit taken aback by it," Girardi said. "Youre never sure how someones going to do it, but I had no inkling that thats what he was thinking." After missing the playoffs for just the second time in 19 years, the Yankees were back in business when pitchers and catchers reported ahead of Saturdays opening workout. Alex Rodriguezs locker was empty following his season-long suspension. Masahiro Tanaka inherited Mariano Riveras locker and Shawn Kelley got Andy Pettittes stall. Scott Sizemore, attending camp on a minor league contract, was assigned Robinson Canos jersey No. 24. Position players report next Wednesday, when Jeter holds a news conference at Steinbrenner Field to explain his decision. Girardi has exchanged texts with the 39-year-old shortstop but has not spoken with him. "This is going to be a guy thats hard to replace in your clubhouse and on your club," he said. "Its the nature of the business where people age and they move on and they go and do different things in their life, and in our life its a little bit quicker than some of the other working people of this world." Jeter was limited to 17 games last year after fracturing his left ankle in the 2012 playoffs and breaking it again last spring during his rehabilitation. Girardi said Jeter always told him "I feel great," but that he could sense frustration. After working out Friday with Brian Roberts at the Yankees minor league complex, Jeter demurred discussing his decision. "It makes no sense to do it here and then do it again over there, so Ill do it all over there one time," he said. And so now Jeter will go on a valedictory tour, much like Mariano Rivera did last year. Jeter is not the type to call attention to himself, making his public announcement before spring training all the more surprising. "It could have been just watching how Mo did it, and how much fun everyone seemed to have with it with Mo," Girardi said. "He might have said, you know, its a pretty good way to go out." Jeter has won five World Series titles with the Yankees but none since 2009, and his final lap of the major leagues figures to set the theme as New York tries for title No. 28. His teammates looked forward to speaking with him after he reports. "Not really surprised, saddened I guess that hes not going to be around," ace pitcher CC Sabathia said. "You want a guy like that to play forever." Having witnessed Chipper Jones final season with the Atlanta Braves in 2012, new Yankees catcher Brian McCann is looking forward to Jeters last go-round. "Hes been the face of baseball since he broke in," McCann said. "I went through it with one Hall of Famer. Im going to go through it with another." David Robertson, inheriting the closers role from Rivera, hadnt thought Jeter would make his plans known before the seasons end. "But Im really glad he did," he said. "I think its going to give the fans a chance to come out this year and see him in his final season in pinstripes." Robertsons new job is one of many changes for the Yankees, who spent $471 million on free agents, including a $20 million payment to Tanakas old club in Japan. McCann and outfielders Jacoby Ellsbury and Carlos Beltran are among the many newcomers, and first baseman Mark Teixeira is returning from a wrist injury that sidelined him most of last season. Cano -- the Yankees top hitter -- left for a $240 million, 10-year deal with Seattle. Girardi predicted for the April 1 opener at Houston that Yankees players at every position other than pitcher will be different from opening day last year. The only time thats happened in franchise history was 1947, according to STATS. "I think it is probably the biggest transition Ive been through," Girardi said. "I need to learn a lot of new faces fairly quickly." Hockey Jerseys From China . With the results, North America claimed 2.5 of the three available points, opening up a 17.5-12.5 lead in the overall standings. A total of 60 points are available, meaning the first team to 30.5 points will win the Continental Cup. Clearance Hockey Jerseys . -- After a year spent travelling the world, Brooks Koepka suddenly is in a position to play a lot more golf at home. http://www.cheapadidashockeyjerseys.com/.I dont think it comes to mind in this business, in this game, the Philadelphia Flyers forward said. You dont try to lose games. Hockey Jerseys Outlet . - A pitch clock will be used this season during minor league games at Triple-A and Double-A, but it has been ruled out for the major leagues this year. Wholesale Hockey Jerseys Authentic . The defending champions sent their preliminary list to FIFA on Tuesday, with coach Vicente del Bosque to announce the final 23-man squad on May 25. Costa is set to lead the attack in his native Brazil, with Atletico Madrid teammate David Villa and Chelseas Fernando Torres also included, while David de Gea replaces injured goalkeeper Victor Valdes. BOSTON -- Torn rib cartilage in Game 4. A broken rib in Game 5. A separated shoulder in Game 6. Patrice Bergeron played through it all in the Stanley Cup final. And that doesnt include the collapsed lung that the Boston Bruins star learned about after skating up and down the TD Garden ice in the last game, trying in vain to keep the season going. "I dont know if theres pride," Bergeron said Tuesday. "Some people would say its stupid." He was in the hospital last Wednesday when his teammates met reporters for the final time, two days after the season ended with a 3-2 loss to the Chicago Blackhawks in the sixth game. So on Tuesday, he stood at a podium in the Bruins locker room, hands in the pockets of his pink shorts, and matter-of-factly recited his medical record. At least his legs were spared. "Its all good," Bergeron said. "Im 100 per cent (in the) lower body." The stitches sewn at the end of his right eyebrow while he sat on the bench in Game 3 of the Eastern Conference semifinals against the New York Rangers were gone. The red scar on his nose was still visible from the fight he had with Evgeni Malkin in Game 1 of Bostons four-game sweep of the Pittsburgh Penguins in the conference finals. His spleen checked out OK after an ambulance took him from the United Center during Game 5 of the last round in Chicago. He hadnt been diagnosed with a concussion since the fourth of his career sidelined him for six games in April. But moving on, Patrice, how about next season? No problem. Bergeron said he doesnt need surgery and should be ready for the start of training camp. "I just need," he said, "I guess, a couple weeks." Any of those injuries would have sidelined players in other sports. But Bergeron, one of the NHLs best all-around players, insists he did nothing special to help the Bruins play for their second Stanley Cup title in three years. "You put everything on the line to help your team. Thats basically what I did. Im 100 per cent confident everyone else would have done the same thing," the Bruins alternate captain said. "Theres a lot of really tough guys on our team and I dont feel like I should take all the praise." Bergeron has spent all of his nine NHL seasons with the Bruins. Without him, they likely would have been eliminated in the first round when they trailed the Toronto Maple Leafs 4-1 with less than 11 minutes left in regulation of an intense Game 7. He tied it with 51 seconds remaining in the third period, then won it with his goal at 6:05 of overtime. He scored another overtime winner in Game 3 against Pittsburgh. Then he had two goals -- and the first since his rash of injuries -- in Game 4 against Chicago. But that was the game in whichh the centre tore rib cartilage.dddddddddddd Early in Game 5, he was hit in the ribs and suffered a crack on the left side. Doctors told him the only way he could play in Game 6 was to get a nerve block that would freeze the area. So he had one -- and needed other pain-killing shots during the game. Bergeron also separated his right shoulder in the first period but played the rest of the way. "I cant remember who it was from their team, but it was in the corner, trying to just battle and I was trying to protect my ribs," he said. "I fell kind of awkwardly in the boards and opened up my shoulder a bit and separated it." As the game went on, he could feel his energy fading. When it ended, he endured the tradition of shaking hands with his opponents and went to the locker room. From there, Bergeron went right to Massachusetts General Hospital, where a puncture was found in the lung. "I kind of had trouble breathing a little bit," he said. "I felt like my chest was closing in on me so the doctors didnt want to take any chances. Theres an X-ray machine (in the locker room), but they couldnt tell, really. It wasnt clear enough for them. They wanted to make sure and, luckily enough, they made the right decision because I went there right away and they found out that my lung had collapsed." General manager Peter Chiarelli said he thought the lung was punctured after the game. "If it had happened during the game, he would have felt the pain and then he wouldnt have been able to play," Chiarelli said last week. At the hospital, a tube was put in his left side for a few days to remove air from the area where the lung collapsed and make sure it stayed inflated, Bergeron said. Some teammates visited him there on Wednesday, the day he was released. "It was actually nice to see a bunch of guys and be able to talk a little bit," he said. While he recovers, he hopes to get an extension of his three-year contract that runs through next season. Bergeron tied for the team lead with nine playoff goals and had 15 points. He led the NHL in winning faceoffs, and he won the Selke Trophy as the leagues top defensive forward the previous season. So hes "very confident" hell get an extension. "It would mean a lot," Bergeron said. "Its a team that believed in me when I was 18 and when I was coming up and now, like I said before, its my home. I feel like it is, and I love the city. I love the people, definitely love the organization." Hed love another Stanley Cup. Thats why he played through the pain. "Theres no regrets on my part," he said. "I did whatever I couldve done to help my team and try to be there for our biggest game of the year." Cheap Adidas Hockey Jerseys Wholesale College Jerseys Cheap Nike Basketball Jerseys Cheap Football Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Baseball Jerseys Cheap Jerseys Free Shipping Cheap Jerseys From China Wholesale Nike NFL Jerseys Cheap NFL Jerseys China Wholesale Nike NBA Jerseys Cheap NHL Jerseys Authentic Cheap MLB Jerseys Authentic Wholesale Soccer Jerseys China Cheap NCAA Jerseys China Stitched NFL Jerseys Cheap Custom Jerseys China Cheap Basketball Jerseys Authentic NFL Jerseys China Cheap College Jerseys Wholesale Football Jerseys ' ' '
lw789
Builder

Return to General Discussion